Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is there a connection between IACV & Cruise Control?

Hi Everyone,

I have a 1995 Legacy (Liberty in Australia) auto. My Idle air control valve needs cleaning as occasionally the idle rate will jump from 800 RPM to 1200 - 1500 RPMs. Also when driving the engine will suddenly cut out but will restart immediately if throttle is pumped.

My Question is my Cruise control seems to work ok but will suddenly disconnect. If my motor had died ( even for a fraction of a second) would this cause the cruise control to disconnect?

Hopefully I can cure  2 problems with one fix!

Dennis

i was having the same problem (minus the cruise control, i never use it) but my rpms were high and the car would occasionally stall.  it would also throw the check engine light on.  i cleaned the throttle body and replaced the throttle position sensor and now things are sweet.  but after the tps gets replaced it needs to be adjusted, or at least it did on my 96 legacy outback.

I've had 4 2.2 90's subarus.  I have had problems once with with the TBS and once with the MAF.  I can't say the symptoms were exactly the same.  But I think that your first step is to take off and thoroughly clean the throttle body and IAC.

If you take off the TBS, you do have to recalibrate it [unless you replace it with the original and carefully mark it's position].  There are a lot of DIY on the various subaru forums to clean and recalibrate these items.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

Thanks for your advice.

I ended up thoroughly cleaning the IAC & this made a huge improvement but didnt fully fix the problem. I then replaced the MAF & everything is running great. While removing the IAC I noticed that a vacuum line was also in a bad way so I replaced that too.