Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I think my new(to me) Impreza may need a wheel bearing.

I think my Impreza i just got 3 days ago may have a bad wheel bearing,can you guys help me confirm it.

My car is a 2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS

When i am driving perfectly straight there is no noise,if i am driving over 25 mph, when i turn the wheel right i get a sound that sounds like a rubbing tire(but it does not rub) when i turn left,it makes a noise that sounds like grinding brakes.

At about 20mph is where the noise from it is the least,but if i am going like 5 mph or so,and trying to turn it clunks.

Also if the car is off and in park and i go to the passenger side and make the car rock back and forth it clunks from behind the rim.

If it is the wheel bearing,how hard is it to replace?

The only repairs i have done is,help replace a strut on an 88 new yorker,replace a starter on a 96 aerostar,lower motor mount on a 97 cavalier and a failed head gasket repair on the same cavalier.

Also what exact tools would i need to do the repair?

First, make sure the lug nuts are tight. Probably the wheel bearing, but lug nuts are an easy check.

Pretty sure the bearing has to be pressed into the knuckle on that one.

Easy repair is to buy a used knuckle with the hub and swap out the whole thing.

Or you can buy a bearing, remove the knuckle and take it all to a shop to have the new bearing pressed in.

Or just take the car to a shop and pay a couple hundred bucks to have them do it.

First, make sure the lug nuts are tight. Probably the wheel bearing, but lug nuts are an easy check.

Pretty sure the bearing has to be pressed into the knuckle on that one.

Easy repair is to buy a used knuckle with the hub and swap out the whole thing.

Or you can buy a bearing, remove the knuckle and take it all to a shop to have the new bearing pressed in.

Or just take the car to a shop and pay a couple hundred bucks to have them do it.

Well.... Umm what do you think would be the cheapest option?

Buy a used hub and install it yourself.

If you have a You Pull and Pay yard that will be the cheapest and you get to perfect your skills on the used car.

Also check your CV Joint boots.  rocking back and forth and hearing a noise could be the CV Joint on the half shaft.

www.car-part.com is a good place to check full service yards.

• Like 1

This is a simple/inexpensive option: 

Buy a used hub and install it yourself.

If you have a You Pull and Pay yard that will be the cheapest and you get to perfect your skills on the used car.

Also check your CV Joint boots.  rocking back and forth and hearing a noise could be the CV Joint on the half shaft.

www.car-part.com is a good place to check full service yards.

32mm axle nut, then just standard 12mm, 14mm, 17mm sockets and wrenches.

Mark top strut mount bolt for alignment.

Busting the ball joint and tie rod boots are the most common additional costs when removing the hub, if you can get those parts with the used hub or carefully remove them, that's ideal.