Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 outback electric antenna problem

Took the new to me Subaru in for 2K worth of maintenance and preventative maintenance and the very next day...

The power antenna went up but when I shut off the motor I heard it make the retraction noise but the antenna stayed up. Now the antenna stays up all the time but when starting or stopping the engine the antenna motor runs but no movement from the antenna.

Anyone have any suggestions on a fix?

I have a 98 OBW with the electric antenna. Suggest you lube the mast with graphite, or a light oil. Clean off all the dirt first, before adding lube.

If that doesn't fix it, then you will need to remove the power mechanism to see if the cable is broken, or something is wrong with the winding mechanism.

It has been my experience with several cars with power antennas, is that they all develop problems over time. Lacking an easy fix on some, I have replaced the power antenna with a non powered unit.

It can be repaired.  Years ago I fixed the power antenna on my wife's '97 Maxima (and believe me, if I can do it anyone with minimal mechanical ability can do it!)

You can probably find instructions online, but as I remember you have to remove the interior drive unit and the exterior chrome cap (bezel?) that guides the antenna.  The flexible notched plastic drive cable is probably broken--you'll have to clean out the drive unit then feed a new cable into it.

Good luck--if you decide to give it a try.

goin campin,

Olnick is correct. They are repairable with a little mechanical knowledge.

The upper most section of the antenna mast (tiniest section with the top ball on its end) is attached to a long plastic whip that is gear-toothed on one side. As the motor turns it either pushes the mast up or pulls it back down where it winds around in a circle much like a measuring tape when closed.

In your case the whip has broken at some point (old age) or a section of the geared whip is stripped.

Strip the inside rear panels of the car hiding the antenna motor, disconnect the bolts securing it, the rubber drain hose, and its wiring connectors to the timer unit for the motor. From outside the car, use a pair of long nosed pliers to fit into the slots of the locking nut at the base of the antenna and unwind the nut and remove it. You should be able to wiggle the entire unit out of the rear of the car.

Remove the screw/bolt holding the mast assembly to the gear drive/motor and pull the entire mast assembly out of the unit. Then unbolt/grind off the rivets holding the gear drive halves together(don't worry about the rivets, replace them with small machine screws and nuts on reassembly).

Clean out the broken pieces of the mast whip from the gear drive, clean and regrease the entire unit before reassembly. Buy a new mast and whip assembly, or get one from another unit at a wrecking yard. Even a Toyota or a Nissan will work, as all Japanese cars use the same parts suppliers (I put a Toyota mast on the power antenna of my 1990 300ZX. I just had to swap over the ball end of the two masts because one was larger than the other (just threaded on).

Orientate the geared side of the whip so it points to the middle of the gear box and hand force it back into the gear box, and replace the bolt/screw that secures the mast to the gearbox. Then wire up 12 volts to the motor terminals and run the mast in and out several times by reversing the two wires.

All that's left is to reinstall the assembly back into the car. Its not rocket science, but it can be time consuming, and will save you a lot of bucks. Good Luck!