Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Monday, I had a wreck in my 04 Outback. I'm having the damage repaired but between this wreck, the wreck(s) the car had been in (Repair Title), and the 250,000 miles I'm going to start the search for a newer car.

Thinking of 06-09 Outback or Forrester. The 06-08 models seem the most appealing from price point. However, I have heard 08 and up don't have the headgasket problems as much? Do Gen 3s have a big # of other problems?

The only other cars I have thought of are RAV4 or Highlander. Thought of a Nissan but the CVT transmission seems iffy? What are some of your thoughts?        

riflegunbuilder is online nowReport Post                

HI,

Anything w/the EJ engine is likely to have HG issues..sooner or later. They were used up until about 2010 - depending on model. If you look on the Subaruforester.org and SubaruOutback.org sites you'll get a feel for other issues.

I have an '07 RAV4 w/the V6 (same as Highlander) w/99K miles. It's quick  (0-60 6.5 secs.) and fun to drive (for an SUV) but the 3.5 has issues - waterpump @ 96K and the variable Cams are making noise. Plus it's had 4-5 recalls....and a few other issues I've had fixed that SHOULD have been recalls. So although I like it, i'm disappointed in Toyota's reliability record....but I'm not sure any other Mfg is much better these days.

I'd also stay away from older nav/infotainment systems....usually 'buggy' and slow.

I'd also stay FAR away from an older CVT, esp. Nissans. I would consider one on a new Subaru.

GL,

Td

• Like 1

The thing i like to say is, you can make your payments to a bank with a new car, or to a mechanic with a used one.

With a new car, you know when the payments come due. On a used one they usually suprise you. If youre the type who can keep a small stash of money, then used may be the way to go. That way the suprises dont hurt as much.

^+1

Also, what I hate to see is folks buy a newer, but still USED car that is OUT of Warranty, but just @ the limit of what they can afford.

And then have an expen$ive repair get 'em. 

This is why I could never be a used car salesperson....I couldn't sleep @ night. :(

Td