Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear door won't open.

Hi- I'm new to the forum. Recently got my first Subaru after wanting one since the '80/90s-- an '86 GL-10 Turbo 4WD Wagon. It's in great shape but has a few bugs I'm working out... It has a few leaks but I can figure those out just fine. BUT I can't seem to figure this one out:

The rear driver's side door won't open. Not from the inside or outside. I think the outside handle is detached and the child lock is turned on. Is there any trick to getting it open? I don't think I can remove the inside panel without opening it... I *might* be able to remove the speaker on the lower right side of the inside panel and blindly reach my arm in, but that's probably a long shot.

The rear passenger side door also won't open from the outside, but will open from the inside.

Obviously this isn't a crucial problem but it's starting to bug me...

Thanks- Roy.

86subaru.jpg

you'll break the ring around the speaker (if it's still the factory one) if you try to pull it off from the outside.

It'll be a little difficult, but you can remove the door trim while the door is shut. might need to unbolt the bottom of the rear seat to give yourself some room.

Have you checked whether that door is locking/unlocking? Have you manually tried to unlock it instead of relying on the central locking? Sometimes that motor gets gummed up, or the linkage comes adrift.

Remove the inside door handle surround & arm rest first.

You may, with a little force, get the B pillar trim off to give you some access to get behind the door trim
Get a strong but thin piece of metal, bend it to 90 degrees, and then try to twist it under the door trim to pop the clips. Fortunately, they are all around the edge about 2" in from the edge, none in the middle.

The door trim is supposed to be pulled upwards with the clips undone to release the top section, but you can lever this part over with the window down. This may give you better access to undo the clips. At least enough to get an arm in.

Be careful of the power window switch plug, but I think there's a lot more slack in the rear wires, than the front.

ideally, try to go have a look a car in the wreckers first, so you can see what fits where underneath.

• Like 1

Thanks. The speaker is aftermarket and can be removed fairly easily. The door locks/unlocks manually and with the switch but I'm assuming the previous owner disabled the door handles? 

He had a bunch of speakers in the back which are gone now...

I'll try working on it this weekend as long as it's not raining- Thanks!

The 86 distributor's are problematic.  Get yourself a working spare as soon as possible.  Looks to be in excellent condition, from the picture.

I think I read that somewhere- probably this forum... I gave it a good tune-up (new cap, rotor, plugs, fluids) when I got it. It's running well but I do realize that it's a 30 year old car. 

Is there an upgraded distributor available? 

Funny thing- this is the newest car I've ever owned! I used to restore and drive early '60s Falcons... Subarus are an entirely different beast- I have quite a bit of learning to do!

Wagonist is correct on being able to remove door trim with door closed. Had to do so myself for same reason, door wouldn't open.

Slide front seat full forward to help getting "B" pillar trim off.

I pulled the entire rear seat out of this particular Wagon, an '88 GL10 FWD.

Started from the front lower edge of the door trim and worked it loose, after pulling door grab, inside release handle trim. This Wagon had electric windows. Enough wiring harness to the switch to allow decent movement of the trim panel.

This particular latch was gummed up from lack of use, and just wouldn't release. All control rods were in place and moving as they should.

A few "spray downs/let soak in", of some "Liquid Wrench", got things working again.

I found during all of the work, that a small pen-light type flashlight works great for peering down thru the opening for the glass to see what is going on. Bigger flashlight just didn't work so good.

I did have to plug the window switch back in to lower the window, after I got the door trim off, just so I could look inside of the door.

edit;

If I remember right, lol.... The "B" pillar trim slides upwards to release it from the clips holding it.

Edited by TomRhere