Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 2003 Subaru Outback H6 and was thinking of getting a hitch and one of those little motorcycle racks/carriers. This is not a trailer and would hang off the back of the car by way of the hitch. Not sure how much the carrier is but I'd be loading it up with a dirtbike. I'm guessing no more than ~260 pounds plus weight of the carrier. Would it be able to handle this or am I going to be putting too much stress on the rear suspension? I've loaded the trunk with about 200 pounds before on a shooting trip and it seemed perfectly fine but 300+ pounds hanging off the very back makes me think it wouldnt be good. If it can handle it then what would the maximum weight be? Just wondering because I've always thought about getting a project bike as well. Thanks and I appreciate any help or advice!

You'll need a minimum of a class II hitch, which has a tongue weight limit of 300 lbs. Looks like there are a few options out there. Here are a few choices:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=2003+otuback+class+ii+hitch&tbm=shop

260 lbs hanging off the very back of the hitch is probably gonna make the car squat a little.

Edited by ebbsspeed

Thanks for the info. What happens if say it was barely over? For example 310 pounds. Would this be very bad/dangerous? I know next to nothing about towing and tongue weight, etc.

if rated for 300 lbs, I wouldn't think an extra 10 pounds would make any difference. Just would not push the weight much more then that.

Edited by Rooster2