Ultimate Subaru Message Board

PHase 1 EJ22 into Phase 2 EJ22 Impreza

hey guys, long time been on usmb

i have a 2001 impreza L recently blown due to running out of oil.

i have installed EJ251 heads on my impreza ran great till i ran it out of oil..

i am searching for another engine and would like to know if i could use a phase 1 ej22 in my phase 2 impreza ? change heads ?

like maybe a 1997 or 1998 EJ22? with my phase 2 heads ?

1995 ?

thanksi greatly appreciate the help...

you can put the phase 2 heads on the phase 1 engine. use the HG that came with the block. there are charts that detail what the compression change will be when building these FRANKENMOTORS.  Some are slight some are more drastic.

You might want to look into installing an oil level sensor :) After blowing 2 engines it might be a good mod to add. Wire it to your horn so when you when you run low on oil  your horn will be honking non stop :)

• Like 2

you can put the phase 2 heads on the phase 1 engine. use the HG that came with the block. there are charts that detail what the compression change will be when building these FRANKENMOTORS.  Some are slight some are more drastic.

You might want to look into installing an oil level sensor :) After blowing 2 engines it might be a good mod to add. Wire it to your horn so when you when you run low on oil  your horn will be honking non stop :)

Use the phase 2 gaskets, the coolant ports have to match the heads.

Phase 1 Gaskets or Phase 2 Gaskets ?

which is it ?

Need to match bore size, and cooling ports. 

Phase 2 2.5 heads onto a 2.2 block, you need to use phase 2 2.2 head gaskets.

Phase 2 heads all have the same cooling ports. Need to match the 2.2 bore size which is the same for either phase 1 or phase 2 2.2. Phase 2 2.2 head gaskets get you the ports and bore size you need. 

Need to match bore size, and cooling ports. 

Phase 2 2.5 heads onto a 2.2 block, you need to use phase 2 2.2 head gaskets.

Phase 2 heads all have the same cooling ports. Need to match the 2.2 bore size which is the same for either phase 1 or phase 2 2.2. Phase 2 2.2 head gaskets get you the ports and bore size you need. 

so i need to use phase 2 2.2 heads ? i still have them..