Ultimate Subaru Message Board

can I convert my 2001 legacy to an outback version?

I have a 2000 and 2002 OB wagon parts cars

I was wondering if I can take off the lower plastic (large) trim pieces and attach to my plain jane 2001 legacy...?

How do they attach?

To complete the job I guess I would need to replace front and rear bumpers which usually match color with the door panel pieces right?

Then....if I really wanted...I could swap struts? to get some lift (altho I have no idea how many miles might be on those struts--high mileage cars)...and then use 16" rims too...

thoughts?

thanks

I have a 2000 and 2002 OB wagon parts cars

I was wondering if I can take off the lower plastic (large) trim pieces and attach to my plain jane 2001 legacy...?

How do they attach?

To complete the job I guess I would need to replace front and rear bumpers which usually match color with the door panel pieces right?

Then....if I really wanted...I could swap struts? to get some lift (altho I have no idea how many miles might be on those struts--high mileage cars)...and then use 16" rims too...

thoughts?

thanks

Bill,

There isn't a smiley face on this board that expresses my reaction, but it there was, it would be rolling on the floor, pounding it, laughing! 

(ps: you know I love you)

Emily

All the body cladding snaps onto the doors. They are Legacy/Outback specific, along with the fenders.

For the lift, if you want everything from the Outback, you'll needs the front crossmember blocks, bolts, rear transverse bushings, steering column, column coupler, struts, transmission crossmember, driveline, rear subframe blocks with bolts, trailing arm brackets, rear shocks, bumps tops, rear upper control arms and there's two brackets from the subframe to the body of the car.

I'm actually doing the opposite to my Outback currently. I'm unlifting it because I'm like that!

Edited by Caboobaroo

yeah that sounds like a terrible project IMO but i can appreciate the desire and possibility.  these generation vehicles are easy enough to find cheap it might be easier to just find what you want with a couple minor issues you can fix and do that.

another option would be to swap every body panel - bumpers, hood, doors, rear hatch and then paint the roof, pillars, and rear quarters.  i've done that with hail damaged cars before. 

the doors and fenders have holes/squares to accomodate the cladding rivets or plsatic grommets or whateve they're called.  something like this:

http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/JarHarms/media/ForesterS/image_zpshilc5ywv.jpg.html