Ultimate Subaru Message Board

just purchased a 2000 outback and while changing all the fluids I fond a concerning amount of aluminum shavings in the tranny. after some reading there seems to be some issues with the transfer clutch. the trans seems to shift fine and no obvious slipping but there is a slight vibration while turning hard at slow speed. should I rebuild the entire tranny or do just the transfer clutch and selunoid ? Thanks for any input.  

Depends on what you mean by 'shavings'- tiny silver glistening flecks, or metal pieces?

Not sure if folks have seen silver in the trans fluid from the transfer clutch plates, I could see a grooved clutch basket leaving some.

How sure are you the vibration is torque bind- does it disappear when you put in the FWD fuse?

If it is the transfer clutch/basket and the rest of the trans works fine I'd say just pull the tail section and just fix what's broke.

• Like 1

CNY_Dave

Yep you hit it small metal flakes none magnetic. I'm guessing the fiber plates are fiber bonded to aluminum backing. I've never dealt with a Subaru before so I'm not positive that it's torque bind but it feels similar to a old school for wheel drive on pavement but not quite as severe. did not try the four wheel drive fuse I was going through the fluids and found the flakes in the tranny so at this time it's in the driveway with the tranny pan pulled off. I didn't see any point in dumping $30 of new fluid and $28 in filters till I know whats going on. So here is one more question    If the solenoid goes bad and the car continues to be driven how long could the transfer clutch last until the fiber is gone grinding on the aluminum backing and is there a way to test the solenoid the way may tranny is sitting now ?

1 Lucky Texan 

Yes it has a spin on filter 

Tire size is the same on all four corners but one tire on the rear has a different tread. I have no idea how long they have been on the car I just bought it.

from what I've read spin on filter is return from cooler and it had flakes in it and so did suction filter if you collected them all you might be able to cover a dime.

Aluminum could be the main output drum. Could be bits getting shaved off by the parking pawl.

AWD transfer clutch drum is steel and the transfer clutch plates are steel.

Different tires on the front/rear is not good, even if they're the same numerical size. The tread depths can vary more than the acceptable limit of 1/4" circumference.

• Like 1

You could reach into the trans where the pan goes and pull the wire off the plug that goes to the solenoid and feed it +12V and see if it clicks.

The plates will typically stick rather than slide when there's trouble so it's probably not plate material/backer, esp if not magnetic.

I would bet on a grooved clutch drum, or maybe normal wear.

FWD fuse is a good test, when you get it rolling again.

• Like 1