Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I recently purchased a brand new 2016 Legacy, and the moon roof leaks every time it rains. Water drips in at the back edge of the moon roof into a plastic tray that is supposedly part of the drainage system. I have had the moon roof replaced and the same issue still occurs. The dealership now says that the moon roof and drainage system are working as designed. I have a hard time believing that Subaru designed the moon roof to leak. However, the service manager at the dealership did show me another 2016 Legacy on the lot that had the same leak. I contacted Subaru regarding this issue and was told that they trust their service department's analysis of this issue. I am just baffled by this. Anyone else with a 2016 Legacy experiencing this issue? I would like Subaru to issue a recall to resolve this once and for all.

post-62004-0-25576900-1456175028_thumb.jpg

Time to get in touch with a Subaru Regional Manager with your problem, and press for a solution, Maybe Subaru trust their service department's analysis of the issue, but having the dealer show you another 2016 with the same trouble was dumb and a waste of everyone's time. Doesn't sound like the dealer has a fix.

Subaru's are built extremely well with minimal problems. Having toured the assembly plant, I saw the care and craftsmanship by the workers to build a fine car. A Regional Manager will solve your problem, and follow up with you to know the problem was fixed.

This is how ALL sun/moon roofs work. There is no way to get a perfect seal around the opening and still be able to open/close the glass at will.

Water drips in around the edges into a tray that surrouds the opening.

The water is then allowed to flow into drain tubes at each corner of the tray, where it then drains out underneath the car.

Edited by Fairtax4me

I would make sure that it actually is draining good despite what the dealer says. Open it up and pour water into that tray and make sure it doesn't back up. There are 2 drains on it, one on each side, so park on a level surface to make sure they both drain.

This makes sense, but hard to believe that a new 2016 model would have plugged drains.

I've sunroofs in almost every car I've owned over the past 20 years, From 86' Cougar, 91' Geo Storm GSi, 92' Taurus SHO, 96' Lincoln Mark VIII, 99' Saab 9-3. None of them had water entering the cabin area, and all but the Geo had electric that slid back. I could hold a high pressure water sprayer from the DIY car wash places over them and still no water entered. Only time I ever saw water building up was the Taurus after the drain hoses going to the back of the car had pine needles built up in them and organic "sludge" from decomposing leaves, and the Saab has a funny grommet junction where that hose enters near the rear tailight, as grommet had a cast-in rubber blockage that only allowed 1/2 of the hose to drain through it. In both cases, it was fixable.

Are you positive the roof is returning to the correct position and not staying slightly open? I know sunroofs that have multi-open positions when manually selecting how far you want it, when returning to the seated position, if you didn't actually wait until it returned and sealed (glass was flush with roof), it could possibly leak as it wasn't in the correct position.

If it were me and the car was truly faulty, I suggest taking the best pictures possible and contacting Subaru via twitter and watch how quickly they help you.

• Like 1