Ultimate Subaru Message Board

AC Fan, How does it work?

So, my Subie had the AC removed way before I ever picked it up. The AC fan is never working, so basically I'm just using half the radiator at all times. Question is: How does the electrical work for the AC fan, should it just turn on when the AC switch in the dashboard is in AC and MAX AC? Or does the AC fan wiring require some of the other ACl components which have been removed? As far as I know, all I have is an evap as far as the AC goes.

My fan still works and I know I can just hotwire it in parallel with the other fan. As of now, this seems the best option.

I've noticed the temp climbing a bit recently, the main fan kicks in and 

86 2Dr Hatch, EA81

Thanx, all.

As far as I am aware.. there is a vacum line from the canister to the engine intake that if left unplugged my ac will be the only thing working when I press any selection keys thanks to somebody I borrowed out my car to. And while figuring out the mess I noticed my ac cooling fan would always be turned on like it was hard wired somewhere.. other than that it would kick on without ac when it would be getting really hot 1993 subaru loyale ea 82 4wd other than that I would suppose thermal senor switch some thing something

Fan receives constant power. circuit is closed/grounded by the thermoswitch in the radiator or the ac trinary switch. Relay is on the passenger strut tower. Jumpering the thermoswitch is a quick way to test the system and condemn the switch.

Vaccum lines have nothing to do with the cooling fan, they are responsible for hvac mode selection.