Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 loyale ea82 radiator

Replacing a radiator in my 93 loyale. The radiator store in my town wants $266 :blink: Anyway I found one at rock auto for $66 (plastic and aluminum) but the lower neck looks to be at a different angle than the stock one I took out.

Reading back in the forum years ago it seems like the consensus is that it will fit. I would just like to confirm because I don't want the hassle of returning an item to an online dealer.

Just thought I'd mention we went through two radiators from Rockauto. They split in the exact same place, left hand lower and not where the plastic is bonded. We put the old radiator back in and it was fine other than a garden hose could blow the fins out. Finally found an old metal one localy at a wreckers and it's been fine ever since. Best of luck to you.

The one I bought from roach auto came without a radiator cap.  The cap from the old radiator did not fit and I had to look for a new cap in the automotive stores for a new one.  Took me awhile to find the new cap because you need to match not only the physical dimensions but also the correct pressure. 

There is a reason why roach auto's radiators are not expensive.

Plus their data base is very inaccurate.  So buying from them is hit or miss.  They will also charge you for return shipping.

Good luck,

Sam

• 3 weeks later...

I got it all installed the other day. I had a minor issue with the water pump pipe leaking so that was a pain in the a$$ Everything is working fine thus far though. I did feel that the radiator was very light and cheap but I guess time will tell how it holds up. As far as Rock Auto I have never used them before this but it seems like some don't care for them?

I have yet to use Rock.  Some seem to have good luck, some not so much.  Some of the replacement part companies cheap out on everything.  That is a risk of only looking at the price.  The way I look at it - I am saving tons of money running these old cars.  And doing the repairs.  I can spend for the better / best parts, and still be way ahead.  Reliability & longevity. 

Just keep a close eye on the radiator.  My guess, is it just might not last as long as a beefy one.