Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Im adjusting valves on DS head because they are really noisy after valve job. Ive got the cam arrows at 6 oclock which is supposed to be position for cylinder #2 valve adjustment. The rocker arm that pushes against those valve is tight on the intake valves but has alot of play on the exhaust valves. I also noticed this when I adjusted the valvles with the head off . Is the rocker arm for exhaust valves supposed to have playat the 6 oclock cam position for cylinder #2  How do I adjust the exhaust valves with play in the rocker arm. 

I'm missing some logic on this issue. Is is the loose rocker arm causing the clacking sound on DS head?

post-35628-0-00119300-1458770305_thumb.jpg

post-35628-0-95650500-1458770321_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure 6 O'clock is the right position for adjustment. It may be correct. You want to make sure it is Top Dead Center/TDC firing position though, because ALL valves

should be FULLY CLOSED (in the optimal adjustment position) in that scenario, and hence, READY TO BE CHECKED AND ADJUSTED ACCORDINGLY. There is a range of acceptable

adjustment, so 1-3 thousands of difference should not be a huge issue. "Go, no Go", in other words, if you want them at 12 thousandths/.012 of an inch, if a .010 or .011 will not fit, but a .012 will, then

you know you are  at 12 thousandths of an inch. Your exhaust valve expand the most under operating conditions, and, hence, usually are adjusted a tiny bit looser than intake valves. Still, though, intakes cannot be too tight either

because they will also expand with heat. 

Now that I have the head and timing belt back on, and have rotated the engine a few times from crank bolt, it looks like I just didn't have the exhaust valves set correctly while doing it on the bench. It sure was alot easier to get to them on the bench though.

Edited by steve56