Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 Legacy Outback with 4EAT repair question

I didn't want to make the original post too long. Yes, the U joint failed. I bought this car in non running condition for $200.00. Wasn't running because someone hacked the wiring harness trying to put in a remote starter. I have that sorted. Engine runs great now. The front u joint was completely destroyed. It looks like they drove it that way for a while too because it took a chunk out of the tail housing when it finally came apart.

It's been a few years...but IIRC:

- Drain the fluid, Drop the exhaust, loosen the pitchstop, and engine mount nuts (so engine can move w/the trans), remove  the trans crossmember  (or maybe just its bolts to the body) while supporting the trans w/a jack, tilt the trans down, remove the housing bolts, CAREFUL w/the parking pawl - it'll try to escape...for starters.

I'd also recommend replacing the Duty C solenoid while you're in there - $100 new OEM (?), a new gasket for the housing and make sure the transfer clutches aren't worn....look up torque bind and you can see pics, if not familiar.

GL,

TD

Edited by wtdash