Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1992 Legacy Wagon Ignition starter switch part number

Hi,

I have a 1992 Legacy Wagon, 2.2L N/A, Manual Trans.

I discovered that I need a new starter switch.  I'm trying to sort out a fuel injector pulse problem.  The switch must have been next to dead.  With all this starting and key twisting I broke the switch.

I need the part number for the switch with just 4 wires at the back of the body of the switch.

The parts house unit (18-0326) has 5 wires.  Also, it has an extra position on the rotation.  When I install this 5 wire switch into my ignition lock housing, I can not even activate the starter.  My key can not twist that far.

I hope that someone out there has the correct part number.

I visited the Subaru Warehouse website, and found two different part numbers.  They dont have pics of their switches, so I have no idea if they are what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

Here are some pics of my factory switch.

26340975133_7d7f1849fb_c.jpg 26340974183_13de711b1d_c.jpg

I hope you can see that this switch has 4 wires at the back of the switch, and 4 spade connections inside the rectangular harness connection.

The only store bough switch I could find looks very simular, but it has 5 wires at the back of the switch.  It has the same rectangular harness connection, but it houses 5 spade connectors.

26340974133_b7614d33b0_c.jpg  26672121340_0a5a4bf6b7_o.jpg

Here is a comparrison of the two plugs side by side.  The top switch is the store bought 5 wire, and the bottom switch is the factory 4 wire.

26340973853_8bf4c68954_c.jpg

If you look at the wire locations, you'll see that the 5 wire switch is laid out differently than the factory 4 wire.  Also, as the switch is moved from OFF, to ON, to RUN, to START.  the 5 wire switch requires more twist.  it requires so much twist, my key tumbler stops before ever reaching the START part of the switch.

Also, while at the wrecking yard, I looked at every Legacy 90-94 auto, manual, car, wagon.  And 90% of them had the 4 wire switch.  only two of them had the 5 wire switch.

Edited by GRANDLOYALE

http://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru__Legacy22L-AT-4WDL-WAGON/IGNITION-SWITCH-ASSEMBLY-----------------91-FOR-IMMOBILIZER/49293816/83131GA060.html

You may pay more, but your garenteed to get the right part, you'll need you Vin so they can get you the right part.

Good suggestion.

I visited this site, but a lack of photos made me move on.  I didnt know that they use a Vin to locate parts.  That is good to know.

Thanks

252378869938 is the item number for a regular guy like us selling one he can't use now. I had a bid on it but asked him to retract it. My daily has a good new set and our other '92 isn't too bad but from experience we know they all wear out. Heavier the key ring the faster they wear.

Edited by moosens
  • Like 1