Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 Outback 2.5/Auto swap to 2.2/5speed. CEL issues

Hi,

IIRC, you just put that entire IM (Intake manifold) w/its included (automatic) harness on  and you'd be good to go....that's what I've done on my two cars.

If it helps, scroll down to the pics on my first post HERE to see - maybe - how mine is hooked up.

Be warned that my setup is a '96 EGR-equipped (automatic) IM on EJ22T (turbo) heads and a '91 short block. But the IM SHOULD be the same as any other regarding the throttle body, etc.....except for>>>>I do know that the early EJ25/2.5 throttle bodies (TB) had different vaccum connections due to the charcoal canister/purge/evap setup. In fact, if you have the charcoal canster by the front pass. side under the hood on yours, you may want to use the EJ25 TB....I'm thinking?

Edited by wtdash

Thanks. i still have the charcoal canister passenger side front still there. So instead of using the new TB I just bought today thinking it would be good to have it since the vacuum lines are different...Your suggesting to use the TB off of the original engine? I have studied your "How To" link and your automatic set up is what was throwing me. Thank for the clarity. 

OK, Ill give it a shot. I will install entire intake manifold, with original TB and not the new 2.2 EGR set up. I have all the EGR harness with with fuel injection parts attached on the new manifold...Do I do anything with the wire harness plugs that are set up for the Auto and not used for 5speed? There are 3 total and the original 2.5 had 4 total plugs...

OK, Ill give it a shot. I will install entire intake manifold, with original TB and not the new 2.2 EGR set up. I have all the EGR harness with with fuel injection parts attached on the new manifold...Do I do anything with the wire harness plugs that are set up for the Auto and not used for 5speed? There are 3 total and the original 2.5 had 4 total plugs...

IM: I'm not following....when you say 'not the new 2.2 EGR setup' you lost me. The EGR is what you need?? If I'm kinda following, the only thing you 'might' want to change is to use the 2.5 Throttle Body as it has the vacuum lines you 'might' need....just to be clear (not condescending), I'm referring to one of these:

s-l500.jpgYo

You could install the IM 'as is' and see if it all hooks up.

RE: the wire harness ..some clarification....for my benefit, if nothing else....The 3 connectors for the engine harness from the IM that plug in by the passenger side are  all connected to one bracket attached to the upper right bolt that secures the trans/engine together. There should be 2 connectors for the Auto transmission that are farther back towards the firewall that are unused (depending on how you wired in yours) due to your swap.....and I don't have any other info on those 2.

Sorry. I try to be as clear as I think I am which is also why I repeat what you say so I can hopefully not only make sense and be understood but also hopefully understand...simple attempt at clarity...When I said "New..." I meant the new one I bought today since it has EGR hoses going into the TB. Ill look at both, the 2.2 and the 2.5 and see how close they are and make a judgement call as to which one to use. So based on your comments of the 3 plugs...it seems that the 2 big gray ones are not going to be connected to anything. Thanks! 

OK. I did as you mentioned on page 1 about letting cyclical codes come onand drove the car 20+ miles to see if I can get all the CEL's to come on and the only one still as of today is the P05050 which has to do with the IAC. I poured Sea Foam in through the tube that you tap into to clean out the valve (as per a few youtube videos) and then cleared the codes and the CEL came back on. Do you recall what codes are related to EGR? Based on my first codes and posts it seems like EGR is not affected? Unless the P0505 is directly related to the EGR? I also will pull the valve and clean it out...Thanks!

I would think EGR would show up by now...and by 'cyclical' you understand that's cycles of  On>Off>On>off, etc, not just one long drive.

So, maybe you fix the IAC and you're 'golden'.

Read this about IAC...maybe it's a relay?http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/p0505-iacv-power-issues-229016.html

Throwing parts @ it is a 'poor' diagnostic tool (and makes you poor!) so hopefully you can find something b4 your wallet does.

Edited by wtdash

Update and conclusion. I passed safety and emissions inspection today. (Utah) The main code I was throwing was P0505 which has to do with the IAC valve. After a lot of youtube videos I figured out how to clean it...initially it didnt stop the error code but within is few days apparently the computer reset(?) and the code was gone and is staying gone. I didnt need to replace the Intake Manifold. I used the 2.2 engine with 5 speed trans and ECU from donor car as well as I plugged back in the TCU which also seemed to help and the cruise control works now. I grounded pins 51/81 and hooked up the NSS to pin 78 (if I recall properly). Thanks again for your help Wtdash. 

• 2 weeks later...