Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 Outback auto trans 2-3 shift weirdness.

So after putting about 500 miles on this drivetrain since fixing the engine, resealing transmission pan and filling with fresh fluid and 1 can Trans-x the shift pattern is inconsistant 2-3-4. 1-2 is firm, 2-3 can be firm or soft or flare or almost skipped going from 2-4. Manual shifting is normal. Forced downshift from 4-3 is normal firm and positive.

I do have what appears to be a front pump seal leak, red trans fluid dripping off of engine cradle and front diff, so im condtantly checking fluid level and adding if needed to keep full. I have no history on this car, complete drivetrain was swapped out sometime in life, and it sat for 9 months before being put back on road. Any thoughts?

The red fluid dripping from the cradle might actually be from the steering rack. For the shifting, do you always driving in 4th? I don't use 4th until I'm over 45. If I drive mine in 4th all the time it shifts a little weird. 4th is almost like overdrive