Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Starter motor issue? intermittent no start

I replaced the starter motor in my son's 96 Legacy 4 weeks ago. Purchased online at RockAuto - a rebuilt - four times to date - about once a week my son will attempt to start his car and nothing - acts like a dead battery but headlights are strong when you turn them on. I have him check shift is fully in Park - put in park a couple of times - also make sure key is fully turned in ignition - still dead. 

Walk away for a half an hour or more - try to start again - starts up first try in an instant. 

I am sure its a new defective - dead spot or something - but I'm open to your ideas before I see if RockAuto has a return policy - if so I'll buy one local. 

Any differential diagnosis one this no start behavior? Any Advice? 

Thanks....Milty 

Your symptoms are indicating worn starter solenoid contacts. They are available from http://www.nationsautoelectric.com/densoparts.html for a reasonable price. But because you already replaced the OEM starter with one from Rock Auto, it's a tougher diagnosis because they should have replaced worn contacts. If the Rock Auto starter is not a NipponDenso original, it may not be re-buildable?

It's an aggravating problem for sure. If you still have the OEM starter, maybe look into this fix.

Edited by BB's93LegacyL
  • Like 1

I seem to remember during 96-99 Leggies, that Subaru sourced starters from two manufacturers, Denso and perhaps Mitsubishi. I had a starter go bad, bought a rebuilt from a parts store. It was built a little different from what came off the car, but putting on the rebuilt unit worked just fine. Can't remember what brand swapped out, and new one swapped in.

Run 12 volts right to starter next time it does it or measure voltages atvstarter to test and confirm.

Starters alternators and fuel pumps I don't like getting aftermarket. Common issues. Meaning "more common than I want on a part that leaves you stranded if it fails."

Edited by grossgary

Your problem is roach auto.  They lure us with low prices and make us buy junk.  Try to return it (I doubt it will work though!)  They will make you pay for return shipping.

But if you are stuck you can always take the alternator apart and verify the integrity of brushes.  I am pretty sure they are worn out.

Good luck,

Sam

there is an alternative i have done on two legacys one of them for a year or two. carry a hammer with you, hold it wood end up, you can actually open the hood and window, reach in the wondow while standing outside the car, turning the key while tapping on starter with said. hammer.

god am i cheap. :) just in case he's stuck.

well, thinking about that i dont see how you can do that while you are supposed to have your foot on brake to start? i dont remember exactly how i did it but i did.

Edited by 1997reduxe

I've always had good luck with rockauto returns. It's all in how you answer the return questions. You know the part is defective, tell them what the defective part is doing, don't tell them it's doing the same thing as the "old part".

Also, cheap parts are cheap parts no matter where you buy them. How long do you really expect a $30 alternator or a $5 tie-rod end to last? Buy quality parts and you'll have less trouble. Often RAs prices on good quality parts are comparable with the local parts store cheapo parts prices.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a reman starter from Advance Auto Parts - don't remember brand but it is a well know name. I put it in last night. My son told me of some weird behavior he experienced during the day prior to installing new starter. He said on back roads or highway around 2K to 2.5K tach ... he swears he heard/felt the starter motor come on - with the familiar click/knocking sound when it does not start the engine ....and/or he thought it was also engaging the flywheel and causing the car to buck or hesitate. I found that very odd - I was thinking maybe the long strap on his key chain was weighing down the keys or strap was getting pulled and engaging starter.

He had mentioned the hesitation or bucking late last week around 2K-2.5K tach - I said maybe plugs, plug wires, fuel injector - I'll have to check. .... I reseated plug wires at coil and plugs. For now issue seems to be gone following install of starter last night - odd coincidence? - who knows - any thoughts?

.....Milty