Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Popping/clicking noise while turning from a stop. 2005 Outback.

Is it a constant click-click-click while moving or just one click when you turn the wheel?

If it's the former an axle is likely the culprit. Sometimes they still can fail even with an intact boot, especially if a precious owner replaced a torn boot after a bunch of gunk had already gotten into the joint.

Yep, come to a complete stop and crank the wheel all the way one direction and try to do a tightest turn possible. If the axle is bad you will hear the famous click click click. Then try the other side. 

Thanx. I already posted this but, I'd like to ask you specifically: If I hear the clicking when turning right, is it the right side axle that's bad? I can't quite pinpoint which side I'm hearing it.

Yes, whatever way you are turning, let say all the way to the right, like Lucky Texan said, all the stress of the turn is on the inside wheel or axle. So if you are turning a tight right turn and the axle is clicking, then yes, right side. I have mentioned before too, if both have about the same axle life, the other one isn't far behind. So keep that in mind, but if the other one looks good and passes the tight turn test, you should be fine.