Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bed cover for Brat

OK, So I was looking for this cool black bed cover. Since I could not find any on eBay, plus the shipping cost for Israel would be probably a lot, I was thinking of making my own.

Of course, the material should be of a kind that doesn't go bad after rain etc.

What is the original made of? Any suggestions about the material I should get?

Thanks guys

PS - It is REALLY hot these days in Israel, so I've completely deserted my brat, and moved back to my motorcycle. This is SO much better than any other 4 wheels...

looking into options..... hassey offered up to make some a while back, but nobody wanted them....

I have a mint one I will be looking into duplicating, but need to figure out a different mounting scheme for the cab wall......

Mine had a piece of angle iron except it was aluminum ha ha and on it was a few of the little doohickies that you slid the cover over and then you turned them to keep it on there. I hope you understand what I am saying. What is yours like Mick?

i wanted one for my brat to... i think the canopy takes away from the look of the car...

so i was thinking what i wanted... but i was thinking of something that could lock... so i came up with a design in my head of one to be made of diamond steel plates and square tubing...

but then i wanted something where i could use the jump seats... so i came up with a new design still using diamond plate... it would pivot at the wheel wells and fold over flat... then you can open it like a trunk and lock it... and still use the jump seats...

i just don't know how i would seal the box around the jump seat head rests...

does anybody know what the h*ll i am talking about???:lol:

anyway... good luck with that...

Greg I totally understand what you're talking about. I was thinking about making one for my newly aquired '78 Brat. I was planning on making a frame out of 1" angled aluminum and covering it with some thin (20 gauge?) sheetmetal. I was then planning on using a couple hinges and bolting them to the back of the cab, bolt them to the cover, put an electric latch from an 82-92 Camaro/Firebird on the tailgate, and use 2 - 82-92 Camaro/Firebird hatch struts to raise the cover up.

I thought about making this same cover for a '67 Chevy longbed that I was supposed to get about a year ago but that never happened:-\ So now I can make it for the Brat:D

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about....

http://usmb.net/gallery/album249/Brat

yah! thats what i was thinking of... except it would hinge in the middle so you could fold it over then sit in the jump seats... but good work... we should design it and build it!!! then sell them for bags of money!!!:banana:

nah... but instead of sheet metal i think diamond steel looks better... it would be cool and still keep the look of the car the same...