Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can't get rid of vibrating front brakes on 09 Impreza. I have changed rotors and pads twice, cleaned hub surfaces and checked caliper pistons(not stuck). I don't have access to a dial indicator to check runout, but all the new parts can't be bad. At a loss!

miles on car?

check inner tie rods for play.

it's extremely rare for rotors to actually 'potato chip'/warp. Vibration or pulsing when braking is much more likely due to uneven pad deposits. This can occur under a couple of conditions; 1. slamming to a stop on hot brakes and holding them clamped at a long light or waiting for a train. etc. 2. Some folks will develop uneven deposits from weeks and weeks of very light brake use. Like lots of highway driving and very little and/or smooth 'drama-free' secondary road drive.

one other uncommon thing is a car that sits in certain weather conditions unused for weeks/months at a time.

Often, an easy fix if, find a LONG stop-free road and maintain 30-40mph while using your left foot to 'drag' the brakes. Enough to feel it. Do that for a coupla blocks - making SURE you can follow-up with a stop free half to 1 mile cool-down run. If the problem gets WORSE, you may have a bad spot (altered temper to the alloy) on a rotor. If it gets better, you may need to repeat the left foot drag, or investigate a more intense "bedding in" procedure.

good reading here; http://stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/-warped-brake-disc-and-other-myths

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

what do you feel? seat-of-pants vibration? steering wheel? brake pedal? any sound?

are the pads wearing evenly - side to side and inner vs outer? same thickness and parallel?

swap tire pairs front to back?

I think I'd also check rear bushing on the lca - just not sure where else to look.

maybe others will have an idea.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

• 3 weeks later...