Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok, so I take it that I need a 2006 to 2009 SOHC 2.5.

Does the type of trans (Auto versus Manual) matter?  I am looking for plug and play and am worried that there may be some difference in the ECUs or wiring harnesses or something.

Thanks again,

Mike V.

You will use your cars intake manifold and accesories.  May even want to swap over the matching Cam/crank gears with a new timing set too.

Only thing that will matter will be EGR or not......IIRC, all the AVLS models, MT and AT in that year range have EGR.  so no worries about electronics as they will stay with the car.

Hi Gloyale,

Sorry for my density, but would you please expand on why I would need to swap over the intake manifold from my old engine?  That was kind of my question:  What model year range engines (and other stuff like California car or not, etc.) will be plug and play?  I would have thought that doing something like swapping the intake assemblies (with the associated wiring harnesses) would only be necessary if I am not using the same generation engine or something.

And why would I want to change over the camshaft and crankshaft sprockets?

Thanks again.

It's a rule of thumb.

Swapping the manifold can be far more certain and easier than verifying any year, model, market changes/differences. 

If you can verify otherwise, then have at it. 

99-04 have two different style crank/drivers side cam gears.  they're identical and interchangeable except for the trigger marks.  I'm assuming that he's suggesting that may still be the case with newer EJ's as well.  that information could probably be determined with some quick searching. 

Sensors and wiring can change year to year and from different transmission types, etc but the basic engine is the same. Just like a 95 to 01 Vortec small block fits an 87 Camaro but the intake is different, and some other bits and pieces. It's the same basic engine - both are technically generation 2 Chevy small blocks - but the engine management changed. They bolt up, but are not "plug and play". 

GD

• Like 1

Thanks again guys.

Just FYI, I got my niece's other car (Toyota 4Runner) back on the road so that sort of takes the pressure off of the Subie situation.

I'll come back here once a plan materializes.  I will try to phrase my questions better at that time.  Don't seem to be getting my point across at present.