Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1997 Subaru Legacy. Subaru dealer service mechanic said it would cost 2,600 to fix an oil leak.

I get my repairs done at a Subaru dealer. I went in for an oil change but they said they couldn't do the oil change. They said there was a lot of oil and it could be coming from the Tam Carrier, Oil Tank, Or Transmission Engine. They Want To Take The Engine And Transmission Out And Do A Oil Pan Reseal. They Said It Would Take A Couple Days And Cost $2,600.

This seems like a really high price. Is this a legit analysis of the problem and service. I tried contacting other Subaru Service dealers in my area but they said that my car is too old for them to properly analyze. 

I get my repairs done at a Subaru dealer.

First mistake. 

Sounds like you have a classic plastic separator plate failure. 

It's too old for the dealer to be familiar with this failure. They have too much brain drain and turnover to remember 20 years ago. 

It WILL require engine or trans removal to repair. Should take about 5-6 hours (similar to labor for a clutch) and the metal separator plate and bolts runs less than $40 from the parts department. 

Being as old as it is, be prepared for a real Subaru mechanic (IE: not the dealer) to find a few more things while they are in there. Should be able to keep it well under $1k. 

GD

• Like 1

sounds like they may also have been wanting to reseal the trans oil pan as well.

Which does NOT require removing anything but the pan itself and replacing the fluid.

I suggest finding somewhere that knows Subarus locally other than the dealer.

but thanks foor  the info ive been to the local sube dealers here for parts sometimes

and i never even considered that they wouldnt be gracious with my 95.:)

I have heard the conversation in the back of my head though thaqt went

BUT  THESE ARE THE CARS THAT YOU PEOPLE  MADE YOUR NAME ON!!!