Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch replacement - 2006 Forester

exactly the same in concept layout and process. Those engines and trans would physically swap places rather easily. So it’ll be the same process.

It’ll have a hydraulic clutch which was just starting around 1997 so good chance you’ve already seen it. But that’s a minor difference anyway.

Biggest difference is the axles. The forester youll have to completely remove the axles because they got rid of the stub shafts in the diff. They're easy to pop out with a prybar, but there's some extra work involved in getting the ball joints apart so you can pull the axles out of the hubs.

Thanks for the additional comments fellas.  I typically just drop the trans when I do a Subaru clutch.

As it turns out, it looks like I won't be doing this job anyway.  But I appreciate the tip about the axles which I will keep in mind if things change.

Thanks again.

Mike V.

Thanks for the additional comments fellas. I typically just drop the trans when I do a Subaru clutch.

As it turns out, it looks like I won't be doing this job anyway. But I appreciate the tip about the axles which I will keep in mind if things change.

Thanks again.

Mike V.

Axles change in 2005 for outback/legacy. So 2004 and earlier are identical to older models like you’re used to. 2005 and later slide into them trans.

Forster and Imoreza I’m unsure what year they change.