Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2007 Tribeca Tree warning lights

Sorry If this is in the wrong spot. I'm working on my GFs 07 Tribeca, and it has been one head scratcher.  She was driving the other day and all of her instrument lights came on (or almost all) and had an error code ER HC code above the odometer. I had her park it and when I got to it and restarted it all that was still on was the Brake, Battery, and Rear Diff Temp lights plus none of the headlights worked. I knew her alternator was going out so I figured that was most likely the cause since the battery was also really low on voltage and had just been replaced a few months ago. Bought and changed the alternator and belt, started the car and still the same 3 lights on and headlights did not work. I thought maybe the alternator ruined the battery, so I bought a new one and still no luck, same lights and no headlights. A couple cigarettes later I checked the headlights and every one of them was blown(Probably bad voltage regulator in the alternator). Replaced all of the headlights and they now work, but my warning lights are still on.  I do not have fog lights working but I believe they have been burned out for a while now. I'm going to replace them now to see if that is possibly whats happening with the warning lights but I highly doubt it. Does anyone have any suggestions to try out to get the warning lights off? I'm at a loss right now and have to idea what to check. If the headlights all blew out at the same time I can only imagine what else might have gone with them. Any Ideas on this would be greatly appreciated. Ill do a full right up if/when I get this figured out since I cant find anything out there with these specific problems.

Thanks a million!

did you check voltage output of the old and current alternator?  what did you get?

i just had an overcharging alternator take out my turn signals, fuses, and TCU (transmission computer), and I think something else in a 1988 XT6.

check that the crank pulley isn't separating.

is it an aftermarket alternator?  granted i wouldn't expect identical symptoms between two alternators, but aftermarkets aren't known to be impeccable.

What does the ER HC error code on a Subaru Legacy signify?

The ER HC code is essentially a high speed communication error code. It implies the Engine Control Module (ECM) is not turning on or communication with other computers is absent. If any recent engine work or repair was carried out on the Subaru, it is possible that there is a loose ground connection or one of the connectors is not plugged in tightly. Check these wires and if nothing is loose or disconnected, further testing of the wiring is necessary.

Lots of hits for HC error code in the Google. Possibly the alternator fried the ECM or BIU.  May be worth taking it to a competent shop that can diagnose it properly instead of putting parts on in an attempt to fix it.