Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I didn't know it when I bought it but I just found out my '06 Outback had its check engine light tampered with. Scammer cut the wires that connect to check engine light on instrument panel. Obviously done for a reason but I need to get it resolved first before tackling code errors.

1) Can I buy a new check engine light indicator to plug/put back into panel and remove tampered one?

2) Insult to injury, cruise control also tampered with (same way). I am learning that both lights work in unison when there is a problem.

3) Do I purchase a new panel and if so, what about existing odometer miles?

I'm angry at myself and scammer but need to move forward and get this problem resolved.

Any help is appreciated

Even with those lights out, you should be able to scan it still and pull codes

agreed. bet ya its P0420

I have had the code for 95K miles. I bought a $20 code reader that also clears codes and just clear the code and reset the systems to pass emissions every 2 years. Do you need to pass inspection that reads OBD in your particular county?

How did you determine that the bulbs had been tampered with?

Is the cruise control working?

Cruise will cut out if there is a CEL.

Edited by brus brother

Update:

After taking the instrument cluster out, I have been able to determine that my scammer pried the LED lights out for the check engine and cruise control. The LEDs are tiny and I am guessing, the instrument cluster is junk. No way of putting those tiny LEDs back in to complete the circuit.

I could be wrong and hope somebody can point me in the right direction.

Thanks

I went to my local auto store and had the following codes show up;

P0700-auto trans control module

P1718-refer to owners manual

P1714-throttle position sensor

P1709-

P0134-O2 sensor

Quite honestly, the car runs great. No hot smells. Shifts fine, throttle response is good, no rattles.

Also, the undercarriage looks good too. No loose or hanging wires or drips.

Edited by Outbakker

Are you sure that the CEL lamp is an LED?

On earlier Subaru models, the panel lamps were incandescents.

The used to be available from RadioShack #272-1092 Micro-lamp #7219.

I'm not sure if RS still carries them.

We have an 06 LL Bean Outback and a digital FSM for it - Yes, the CEL and other warning lights in the dash are indeed LEDs

to the OP - the FSM states that the combination meter should be replaced if there are problems with the LEDs

as for the odometer, make a note of your current odometer reading when replacing the unit. and the miles that appear on the replacement unit when installed.

That way you have a record of where it was.