Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1998 Legacy Outback Power Antenna Replacement

I just got through rebuilding my power antenna and have two wires left to hook up that I don't know where they go.  The grounding cable wasn't hooked up on one end.  I assume I can ground it to any bolt?  The other one is a black wire that was hooked up but I can't remember where I disconnected the ring terminal end from.  My brain is frozen , but I don't want to button everything back up without connecting these wires to where they belong.  On the motor housing, I ended up prying it apart and using a soldering iron to melt the posts back shut.  I am assuming that Subaru did not intend for these to come apart and that is why they didn't bolt the cover on.  Antenna and radio are working , so I can live with the back end being unbuttoned until I finish.  Thanks for any guidance.

• Like 1

heartless,

Thanks for the info.  It looks like both the wires are grounded .  The black wire must of come undone when I removed one of the screws holding the power antenna in.  If it doesn't snow tonight, I'll try to get everything hooked up before I go to work.

• Like 1

I own a 98 OBW Limited with the power antenna. Recently the mast post was bent somehow. The antenna still tries to go up & down when the radio is turned on & off. I plan to simply replace the mast with a solid bolt on unit. I still need to disconnect power to the antenna. I will check my wiring, and tell you what I see this weekend. Let me know if you need this help. Rooster2