Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 Loyale showing ECU codes 11, 12, and 61

Whats up fellow Subaru lovers, So I finally got my 92 Loyale EA-82 Auto trans 4wd to start but only up until I put it into gear. When I start the car the idol is really high and I will try and put it in gear and it goes for a second hiccups stutters and then dies and burns up the black fuseable link underneath the hood. I checked the ECU to see if it was pushing and codes and sure enough its throwing codes 11-crank angle sensor or circuit, 12-starter switch or circuit, and 61-parking switch or circuit. What do these codes mean and  how do I go about fixing them. Could this be the reason why it won't idle right and dies once put into gear. 

"Crank angle sensor" is the distributor / pickup that on an older car would have been the points.

12 has nothing to do with your trouble.

61 probably not.  I've never seen this code.

Weird idle problems i have seen with NO codes -

failing CTS - coolant temperature sensor - the 2 wire sensor on the lower thermostat housing.  This can cause all kinds of weird drivability problems, as the fuel mix isn't correct for the engine temperature.

Broken wire to the IAC valve, or dead / stuck IAC valve.  idle air control valve.  If this is the problem, you can maintain idle with careful application of the gas pedal, and still drive.

The fusible link burning up is odd.  A short in the alternator output could burn it out.  All of the other loads on that link are fused at much lower amps, so those fuses should blow before the link.  Other possibility, is alternator output totally out of control, pushing out full power - but I've not had the link burn out from that, just over voltage, which I regulated by turning on and off accessories to avoid frying electronics and the battery until I got home.

The IAC could be a start. When it starts it idles fine for a few seconds then jumps to 3000-4000 RPM. I tried quickly tapping the gas pedal and it doesn't help. I'll check the cts sensor in a little bit. I've spent a full day putting it all back together so it's break time.