Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ swap won't start

I am finishing up an ej22 swap on my 85 GL. I hooked up the wiring and tried to start it. It'll turn over but won't start, appears to be a fuel problem. It'll start with some starter fluid. I installed a higher pressure fuel pump. I disconnected the fuel line to check if it was working. The pump will run for a second then stop. Then when I turn the engine over, no for fuel comes. What could be going on here?I was told the fuel pump relay from the ej harness was just extra and not needed. I wired the fuel pump to the original wiring. Do I need to hook up the ej pump relay? 

EJ pump relay required hands down. You need to run the higher rated EJ fuel pump loom. 

Whats happening is the fuel pump is being run by the EA control box that's not getting a revolution signal when the engine is turning over.

Throw the EJ relay and wiring in there with the correct reference wire from the ECU and she'll be apples. 

Whoever told you to run the hp pump off the stock EA setup was taking big short cuts and must've had an early subaru where the pump ran all the time.

sounds like you've got everything else sorted ;)

Cheers

Bennie

1 hour ago, el_freddo said:

EJ pump relay required hands down. You need to run the higher rated EJ fuel pump loom. 

Whats happening is the fuel pump is being run by the EA control box that's not getting a revolution signal when the engine is turning over.

Throw the EJ relay and wiring in there with the correct reference wire from the ECU and she'll be apples. 

Whoever told you to run the hp pump off the stock EA setup was taking big short cuts and must've had an early subaru where the pump ran all the time.

sounds like you've got everything else sorted ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Thank you. What wires from the ej pump relay need to run to the pump? 

Edited by ClassySoob

if you come back before bennie you may need to state which year model you are using.

You normally supply pos power direct to pump and switch the earth via that relay I think in these Subes.

Can you test the output of your relay? You may need to test all wires at relay and come back.

May get some faster replies over in the EJ section

7 hours ago, ClassySoob said:

Thank you. What wires from the ej pump relay need to run to the pump? 

One or two to trigger the relay. I'd have to look at a wiring diagram for the donor model to confirm. 

If you cut down this loom with a diagram you should be able to work out how to replace this wiring. Hopefully you left it as is but not hooked up to the pump but I'm guessing it's been cut out :cry:

Cheap and nasty way to sort this is to hook up the tacho signal from the ECU to the fuel pump control box in the right plug pin.  But you'll still have under rated fuel pump wiring...

Cheers

Bennie

1 hour ago, el_freddo said:

One or two to trigger the relay. I'd have to look at a wiring diagram for the donor model to confirm. 

If you cut down this loom with a diagram you should be able to work out how to replace this wiring. Hopefully you left it as is but not hooked up to the pump but I'm guessing it's been cut out :cry:

Cheap and nasty way to sort this is to hook up the tacho signal from the ECU to the fuel pump control box in the right plug pin.  But you'll still have under rated fuel pump wiring...

Cheers

Bennie

I have the relay and it's loom, it's just not hooked up to the pump. I'll hook up the relay and see what happens. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jono said:

if you come back before bennie you may need to state which year model you are using.

You normally supply pos power direct to pump and switch the earth via that relay I think in these Subes.

Can you test the output of your relay? You may need to test all wires at relay and come back.

19 hours ago, jono said:

I jumped the fuel pump so it would activated. Tried to start car again, still turns over but won't start. Starting fluid, it'll run for a second then die when it runs out. Seems like my ingectors aren't working

Edited by ClassySoob

What all on the ej harness needs to be hooked up for the ecu to tell the injectors to fire. I have the basics hooked up; power, hot, engine harness, main relay. I haven't hooked up the fuel pump relay, starter wire (was told car would run without that being hooked up),  or the instrument wires. The engine was out of a 97 legacy. I tested the injectors with a test light, got power through each pin hooked to positive side of the battery. I jumped pins and the light did not come on, or pulse when engine turned over. This is where I am at. Thank you. 

You may not have injector pulse due to crank or cam sensor issues. Ensure these are hooked up correctly. 

Also using the EJ loom's start circuit helps starting as the ECU enriches the fuel air mix during cold starts. It's beneficial to have this hooked up...

Cheers

Bennie

10 hours ago, el_freddo said:

You may not have injector pulse due to crank or cam sensor issues. Ensure these are hooked up correctly. 

Also using the EJ loom's start circuit helps starting as the ECU enriches the fuel air mix during cold starts. It's beneficial to have this hooked up...

Cheers

Bennie

I checked my crank and cam sensors, the crank was good, but the cam wires at the plug were frayed. When I disconnected the plug the wires broke off. How can I fix it without buying a new plug

You could try to re-attach the wires while ensuring that they're properly insulated from each other. 

Otherwise grab another cam sensor. 

As for the ECU and loom, so long as they came from the same model (and possibly year) you'll be sorted. 

Cheers

Bennie

Edited by el_freddo