Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Narrow to W I D E BA N D upgrade really work?

I recall Mr ausubaru92 doing a wideband upgrade from a narrowband O2 sensor upgrade on his EA82T Wagon

Wondering if the ECU is really made to cope with a widebands'  input and deliver improvements

Just reading some wiki ? on O2 sensors and something sort of suggests the two are not compatible.

Not that I use an ECU mind, but a similar fuelling device for my propane is getting install attention at the moment and it uses an O2 signal.

I am happy not to use a heated O2 for its heated wires or two wire output

Must be coincidental that my LED O2 reader bar is reading lean ever since I replaced water pump and retensioned timing belts while in there. Maybe I introduced an air leak somewhere to the fuel mix ?

Something lurking in the back of my mind is when I installed a wideband sensor normally for tailpipe emissions tuning, I screwed it in just at the back of the turbo - upstream of the cat - I got wicked all over the place readings on the tuner. This is same place I will be using the device source of O2 readout. Guess it was OK when it ran wet fuel.

Be a case of suck it and see - and share results and any subsequent headaches that may follow

Edited by jono

I havent yet had a wideband installed on an EA82t. I did upgrade the 1 wire non heated sensor to a 3 wire heated sensor though when I had my narrowband gauge on the dash

I have a wideband in the drawer beside me I will use when tuning my Speeduino ECU. It has a "simulated narrowband" output that you can input to the ECU to provide factory style closed loop fuelling.

Given that stoichiometric a/f ratio for propane is 15.7:1, you will have to adjust or account for your display and aim for slightly lean when tuning your mixer

Edited by ausubaru92
Correct myself

Standard O2 and wide band are not interchangeable. The ECU has to have the capability to read the wide band which is far more accurate and able to read outside the 14.6:1 ratio for gas engines. Switching to wide band will net you nothing if the ECU can't read the full spectrum.

Edited by skishop69

Fading memory...so was just adding a heated narrow band. Was reading wideband use 2 input to ECU wires instead of one so was trying work out how you did it. Now I know, and it was just constant IGN supply to heat O2 up not some ECU power regulation then.

Good. I only ordered single wire O2 sensor OEM Bosch. My processor holds back on its job until O2 is heated and sending its tiny Voltages

Tuning device for tail pipe is wideband and has fuel type select switch for petrol, Diesel, alcohol, LPG and lambda so all good on that front