Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat struts what are the options?

I’ve been looking for good struts for an 86 brat the only thing that pops up online are the Gabriel’s and they have terrible reviews oreillys and autozone say they don’t carry anything. Can a wise man point me in the right direction or give me a part number of a strut that will fit w/o alteration. This is my hunting rig in wet side wa so lots of potholes and gravel

16 hours ago, jono said:

Surely genuine will outlast your needs?

No longer available. 

The only thing coming up anymore is Gabriel for the 4WD models. 

It's that or used. Welcome to 35 year old orphaned platforms. 

I've said it many times before - these are not viable daily drivers for the vast majority. Can't get many important maintenance parts. The market isn't there to support their manufacture. So you have to make custom or find new old stock. Or modify newer parts. 

GD

• Like 1

Well than I guess I’ll have to begin my research on how to alter something to work. I appreciate your knowledge however I have never aloud myself to fall in to the vast majority crowd. I grew up using 65 y/o tractors and tools held together with duct tape lol. I love this car and it’s much cheaper to drive than my pickup plus I could put a lot of money into it before I could ever justify an equal replacement for what I use it for. I’m not the kind to replace something because it needs some tlc and and a vehicle that has to be trailered somewhere to serve its purpose seems silly and useless to me I am disgusted by these side by side things I see in the woods today a Subaru or Toyota can get you anywhere you should drive to than your boots can get you the rest of the way 

Ok my next suggestion is what I did.....fitted EA82 4WD front struts and their three stud mounts. I am right in the middle of prep to replace strut mounts with better used ones.

Required me to drill two holes to suit positions of therearmost pair of studs and sand about 0.5 mm of paint and tube from the base to fit the strut to my EA81 hubs. 

I also made jelly bean washers forstrut tops to match original but thick washers will do. Best riding EA81 iI have had. UsUsed EA82 factory springs too

See nearby thread i have rusurrerusurrected.

Advantage of ea82 strut tops is they have a bearing instead of ea81 using a bush.

Edited by jono

What happens when it needs a new oil pump? Yep the EA81 pumps are now discontinued as well as the EA82 pumps. Engine swap? Hardly seems worth the effort - just get a legacy and drive that. Or a Baja if you must have a tiny bed. Can easily pull a trailer with a Legacy and get the same fuel economy. First and even second generation Legacy's are now worth scrap value and you can get most parts including virtually every mechanical part on the car.

I get where you are coming from but it's a losing battle and there are better, cheaper (both in time and money) options to get the job done. 

GD

When or IF it needs a new oil pump?

I don't know what you do to oil pumps GD

I have never needed a new one, nor needed to order one for a Subaru of this era. 500,000 , 800,000 km and more on the original oil pumps down here mate!

• Like 1