Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Temp gauge stopped working 1993 Loyale

(1993 loyale ea82)

Can anyone help me out? i was having heater issues so i replaced my thermostat yesterday, didn't fix the heater but it did cool down normal driving temp. Then today i did a heater core flush using a hose and water, once i got done with that. it did fix my heater issue but now my temp gauge isn't working. it moved maybe a millimeter after idling for 5 mins, taking it on about a 3 mile drive, then i let it idle for another 5 mins and still only a millimeter from the temp gauge.

I checked the temp sensor to make sure i didn't unplug it by accident and it appeared to be plugged in so i re-plugged to be sure and still temp sensor faulty

Any advice is welcomed! ty.

By chance did you put the thermostat in upside down?  Other than that wire could have broke... try cleaning the connections then splooge some dialect grease in plugs. Other than that mist everyone will say it sits well below half and just above C

Edited by Len Dawg

1 minute ago, Len Dawg said:

By chance did you put the thermostat in upside down?  Other than that wire could have broke... try cleaning the connections the splooge some dialect grease in plugs 

im 92% sure i didn't. Temp gauge worked after i did the thermostat just stopped working after i did the heater core flush.

Thermostat end with the spring must be down in the housing on the intake.
The sensor is a 1 wire on the lower housing for the gauge.  There is also a 2 wire one there for the ECU.  That one is only for engine control.

Any time you open the cooling system, be sure to remove ALL air before driving.  The water pump can get an air bubble, and this can cause an overheat, very bad for head gaskets. 
Form a cold start, idling, the engine temp should slowly rise.  The temperature of the radiator hoses should get very uncomfortable to touch once the thermostat opens.

One of the ways to help get rid of air is this - once you fill as much as possible, leave the cap off.  Squeeze the upper hose and release it.  add water and repeat until it stops taking more.  Start the engine.  Rev it a few times, watch the water get sucked in.  shut off.  The idea here is not to run long and get the engine warm / hot, just to purge air.  Add water.  repeat.  Once you can't get any more in, close the cap.  Monitor the level in the overflow and check for air in the upper hose before each drive until you are convinced it is stable.

One of those funnels that connects to the radiator filler neck is really handy to aid this process.