Ultimate Subaru Message Board

06 Forester Radiator Change then Power Steering pump noise

The original radiator was leaking at the plastic to aluminum seam on the top.  I got a nice all aluminum radiator from Radiator Express $180.  The stock 2006 fans did not fit but I had a spare set from an 2000 Impreza that bolted right up.  They are a little wider so they are very close to the AC Belt adjustment pulley bracket.  They also need a little jumper from the 2006 Forester wiring harness to the Impreza Fans.  

Here's a link to the radiator:

https://www.radiatorexpress.com/product/all/subaru/2006/forester/x/25l-h4/222258/1432593

Very nice.

Got it all back together and there is a whine from the front of the engine, AC Condenser, ALT or Power Steering pump were all possibilities.  A little more checking and I see the PS pump fluid is full of bubbles.  A noise check using my long screw driver to the above listed parts confirmed it was the PS Pump.  

Well it was fine before the radiator change so I figured it was just sucking air in through the hose.  Replacing the spring type clamp with an old style heater hose clamp at the PS pump to reservoir fixed the problem.  A day later all the air was out of the fluid and the pump was back to normal.

• Like 1

if that's the EJ set up where the shroud bolts to the steering pump/hose - loosen and adjust the shroud/covers/bolts that go across the power steering and accessories.  i think you can just loosen and adjust the alternator some to give that power steering pump bracket room to move so it's not pulling on the hose.  or you might have a different power steering - i forget which years/models changed power steering pumps and hose set ups. 

Edited by idosubaru
  • Like 1