Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Drum Brake Help

Jack up the rear end at the rear diff. Placed car on jack stands at rear suspension tube. Tighten the adjuster(lower most square drive) until you cant turn the wheel,then back off 180°.Make sure the wheel spins freely. You should be good to go. Repeat process on the other side.

Good luck.

Edited by 81EA81

you can see the adjuster head in this pic.  Just directly below the axle.

81EA81's advise is basically correct (above)  I would add though..........the adjuster has a wedge on it's tip....this wedge sits into angled shims to make the adjustment.  When turning it, you will feel the tension, and then the "seat" at only 2 points in it's rotation.  don't leave it between the seats.  Make sure you're turning it until it "sits" into one of it's two positions, as you go.  Of course, it may  be seized.  It might be a good idea to pull the drums, and spray the shims and adjuster good with penetrant before trying to adjust.

• 4 weeks later...

That adjuster looks pretty rusty, you might want to considering ordering new ones as they are relatively cheap and easy to replace. Last time I did my drum brakes both adjusters were seized and the square drive strips super easily. Also as a tip, one of the easiest ways to adjust it is using 12 pt 1/4 drive 7/16 socket and flipping it around to use on a 3/8 inch drive ratchet.

• Like 1