Ultimate Subaru Message Board

making EJ AWD 5MT and EJ20 fit in EA81 Brumby

Picking up on something I let sit about a bit

I dropped an EJ20 into my EA81GEN2 Brumby

It has better valve cover clearance than an EA82

bolted up behind it sans flywheel for now is the AWD 5MT box

I am yet to make a gearbox crossmember

What am doing is cutting the gear shift and gear shift stay support tube down by well, I thought I said 65mm for the gear lever

looks like I marked and started to cut the support lever that goes to the body somewhere, but at 60mm

Has anyone cut their levers down to make the EJ box fit in EA81 body? And remembered the details

Stupid relied on his memory

If only someone produced a gearbox crossmember ....

7 hours ago, Steptoe said:

I dropped an EJ20 into my EA81GEN2 Brumby

It has better valve cover clearance than an EA82

ANY other Subaru engine has better clearance compared to an EA82 abomination in the EA81 chassis - that move is blasphemy!

I’m sure there are build threads detailing this cut length.  I’ll be keen to know too as I hope to be doing something similar in the future. 

What box are you using and are there any mods done - or are you running a larger tyre size to keep engine revs at factory levels?

Cheers 

Bennie

If there are threads I cant find. FB was not much help. One left it as it was lengthwise just happy to have the thing emerge into the cabin !i

No mods. Just the box from the Impreza single range RX wagon GF8

Once it all fits it is all coming out so I can fit my EA82 propane screamer and pt 4wd 5mt box

The Impreza is 3.9:1 diff up front so I am planning to install an EA82 3.9 diff - simples :)

What tyre diameter will you run - factory or Impreza?

Only asking as you’ll be revving high if you retain the factory 23 inch diametre tyres. Swap that box to a 3.7 diff ratio and it *should* in theory pull your gearing back into spec, meaning better highway revs. Speedo will still be out. 

A 27 toothed speedo drive gear has matched my L’s speedo perfectly. I’ll be going for the same when the time comes with the brumby. I’m just not sure what model the 27 toothed drive wheel/cog came from. 

Cheers 

Bennie

10 hours ago, el_freddo said:

What tyre diameter will you run - factory or Impreza?

Only asking as you’ll be revving high if you retain the factory 23 inch diametre tyres. Swap that box to a 3.7 diff ratio and it *should* in theory pull your gearing back into spec, meaning better highway revs. Speedo will still be out. 

A 27 toothed speedo drive gear has matched my L’s speedo perfectly. I’ll be going for the same when the time comes with the brumby. I’m just not sure what model the 27 toothed drive wheel/cog came from. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Swap is easier said than done . Waiting for a 3.7 EJ box to fall in my lap. Will retain 195.50.15  . If it ever fits up together and goes then will worry about revs. Thanks for heads up though