Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1986 GL - Carbed EA82 - Idle Issue with Video

Hey there,

This is a new problem I've been having with a low and fluctuating idle. I drive the car every day to work and it runs fine at a higher RPM. I checked out the Trouble Shooting section 2.B of HTKYSA and started running through some of the trouble shooting steps. I searched around the forum and didn't see anything conclusive.

Trouble shooting done thus far

1.I checked out the spark plugs and wires. Everything looks good there.

2. I also listened for any vacuum leaks, but couldn't hear any. I'll check every connection this weekend when I have some daylight. Oil level is topped out at the full mark.

Based on the video below does anyone have an idea of what the issue might be? 

Thanks!

Edited by TheRustyWolf

I had a similar jumping idle problem. It sounds like you have a nasty exhaust leak, or the carb heater hose that goes from the exhaust to the intake is not hooked up or leaking. That was part of my problem solved. Also seems like the timing is off, turn the distributor and check with a timing light. Also check fuel pressure. After this is done, spend $320 and by the Weber swap kit.

Nasty exhaust leak? Definitely. The tail pipe rusted to the point where it wasn't connected anymore so I just pulled it off.

Carb heater hose? I've never had it hooked up, and this is the first time I've had this issue. From what I was reading plenty of people run fine without it?

I'll look into the timing and fuel pressure. This happens intermittently, and rarely stalls now. If it was timing would it be consistently having this issue?

I probably won't invest in the weber swap as $320 is a 1/3rd of what I paid for the car overall. I'll end up buying a new car before I throw that on.

I have new NGK plugs and wires coming in. I'll throw those in with a new airfilter I have lying around. My mileage is spoob, 20mpg, when I'm usually at 25-27. I put in 20w-50 as opposed to my normal 10w-30. Not sure if that would have anything to do with my troubles.