Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Probably 1998 DOhC EJ25D kit but we don’t know what parts you have.

DOHC belt and match the tensioner to the bracket you use (single piece or two piece).  

There are two DOHC tensioner styles, one piece is early usually 1996 and some 1997s, which is what HLAs usually are. Two piece is 1997+.

you don’t tell us what parts you have or if you have both complete engines.

You can use either tensioner style, they’re interchangeable.  The tensioner bolts to a bracket so swap bracket to swap tensioner.  Two bolts and $20 from Subaru or use what you have.  Easy.   

Probably use the 253 bracket and newer one piece tensioner since it’s a complete kit.  Assuming you have the bracket too.or just buy it from Subaru they’re cheap   

the older style kits only come with the pulley so if you don’t have the tensioner you have to buy a timing kit and tensioner. 

Edited by idosubaru
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for your response. I have 96 outback legacy. I have the complete ej25d engine but just the ej253 shortblock no timing accessories. So i would be able to just swap the bracket that holds the tensioner from the ej25d to ej253 and use the ej25d timing kit correct?

Correct. Use the EJ25D timing kit, tensioner and matching bracket. I believe the dohc tensioner bracket has a mount for one of the cam cover bolts that the sohc unit does not have. 

You can swap tensioner and bracket from any wrx - this will open up timing kit options too. 

Cheers 

Bennie

4 hours ago, Junebug2014 said:

Thank you for your response. I have 96 outback legacy. I have the complete ej25d engine but just the ej253 shortblock no timing accessories. So i would be able to just swap the bracket that holds the tensioner from the ej25d to ej253 and use the ej25d timing kit correct?

1996 = old style tensioner.  you have two options:

All parts should be Subaru OEM:

1. old style timing kit. reuse the tensioner as kits usually don’t include it.
2. New style timing kit and buy the $20 tensioner bracket from Subaru, eBay, or someone on here. These come with new tensioners, unlike option 1.

Option #2 may actually be cheaper depending on source.

old style tensioners were more reliable than the new, so reusing was seen as an option. But it is a quarter century old, interference engine, and you’re putting a lot into this so a new tensioner makes sense. 

If youre considering aftermarket parts, i would favor reusing the original old style tensioner over an aftermarket new style tensioner if you’re looking at cheap timing kits