Ultimate Subaru Message Board

First subaru

Hey guys I just bought my first ever Subaru (96 Impreza ej18 5speed awd) and I love it and it's not even running yet. Got it for 800 with a wide body kit led head lights a giant spoiler from I think from a wrx? It also comes with almost everything needed to turbo it. Po took the front cover off to check timing so I'ma go ahead and change it and put the water pump from a 96 ej20 on. The issue is no spark. He's already changed coil, ignitor, cam, and crank. So I was wondering if someone had a wiring diagram?! Thank you and sorry for the long post.

FSMs are readily available online for free.  Get one of those. 

With that “custom” work done to it I wouldn’t put it past the previous owners to do something wonky to it. Make sure all plugs are seated and parts are in their original place and wiring looks unmolested. 

were there any attempts to install that “turbo kit” yet?   That’s a good place for something to go bad. Probably best not to install that kit, good chance of blowing up the engine. 

The cam and crank sensors are so easy to replace I would swap those with used ones. Or test them if you don’t want to guess.  On this uncertain car they probably won’t be an issue but they’re often easy to get inexpensively or “free”   

Well I'll be back with the car in a few hrs I'm gonna start on it. I'm gonna check engine and body grounds and 5v ref. And is the ckp a Halaphect (spelled that wrong) sensor so I can test properly? I don't like resistance test I like loaded circuit test. Lol. Thank you for your input. And after I get this one running good I will be putting turbo kit but only a 6-7 psi

Yeah I found a little bit of info but not much. I have no spark straight from the coil and the ckp and cam sensor are hall effect. So AC sign wave.

Now I just gotta wait for all the rain to stop so I can even get to my shop. It rains anymore there will be water in my shop. 

Also read that a bad MAF can cause a no spark? Every vehicle I've worked on MAF semi controls the EFI system.