Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 Loyale odd light issue

So I just picked up a 92 wagon. The parking light switch in the column seems to be broken? Switching it off turn all the running lights off even if the car is running and the headlights are on. 

On my 89 DL it would just turn the parking lights on with the ignition off. When the switch was off the lights worked like normal, on with the head lights.

Check Fuse # 23 - 20amp and Fuse # 9 - 10amp.

Also check Tail & Illumination Relay.

The wiring diagram does not show the location of these.

If those parts are ok, then it will be the switch or a poor connection, because that switch routes power in both positions ON and OFF.

2 hours ago, Rampage said:

Check Fuse # 23 - 20amp and Fuse # 9 - 10amp.

Also check Tail & Illumination Relay.

The wiring diagram does not show the location of these.

If those parts are ok, then it will be the switch or a poor connection, because that switch routes power in both positions ON and OFF.

I thought it might be the switch, but it seems like it isn't possible for it to fail in this way. On my 89 it will turn the lights on with the car off. On the 92 it only turns the lights in when the key is on and the highlights are on.

Looking closer at the wiring diagram I can see that when the Parking Switch is ON the parking lights only will light, NO Dash Lights.

When the Parking Switch is OFF it makes a connection so that when the Headlight Switch is turned ON to parking lights, the parking lights and the Dash lights will light. Same for headlights.

So, it looks like the Parking Switch might be good and the Relay may be bad. I think it is the Relay because it is controlled by the headlight switch and turns on the parking lights, then that power goes through the Parking Switch (OFF) to light the Dash and other lights.

The relay is listed as Tail & Illumination Relay.

• Like 1