Ultimate Subaru Message Board

‘83 GL wagon (manual) 4x4 needs transmission work!

Hey y’all,

Our wagon arrived from its previous owner with the transmission reportedly not shifting into 3rd gear. 

Anyone know of someone in the NW who will work on these transmissions and be successful? I’ve made a couple calls and basically the dudes laughed at me. 

Also willing to do the work myself if it isn’t too complicated, but hoping to get it done right and don’t want it to take forever.

Would be very happy to pay someone to figure it out though. Especially someone with a lot of experience with this generation. 

Edited by heymulderitsme
sp

Good luck with it mate. The EA82 five speed is DIY-able. But I found the old EA81 four speed a pain in the arse and I really don’t know how ppl do it. I only needed to open the old box and an angle grinder was involved in the end... 

Once you’ve got the rear extension housing off, the pinion shaft end nut seems to be required to be removed to get the mid/rear housing off. I gave up and introduced it to the angle grinder. 

A 5spd conversion would be easier and make the vehicle more enjoyable to drive long term. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I should add (because I missed it yesterday) that the pinion shaft end nut is hard to get to because of the casing you’re trying to remove - the casing obscures straight line tool access to the end of the pinion shaft. And how you stop the diff from rotating is something I haven’t worked out. 

Cheers 

Bennie