Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just bought a 1992 Subaru Loyale wagon with the 5 speed transmission. I just recently did an oil change with heavier oil and now i have oil in my coolant reservoir. Now do these have a oil cooler that could of went bad or is it head gaskets? I only ask because it doesn't seem like i lost much or if any oil. I also checked under the cap on oil filler and there is nothing there and on the dip stick so its just my oil getting into my coolant. Any advice on what it might be? 

headgasket.  previous owner dumped it for that and you bought it.  

of course check to make sure you're not just seeing a dirty coolant reservoir, we can't see what you're looking at, but if you're noticing something obvious then it's the headgasket. 

being a manual you probably would just pull the engine and do the clutch as well and pull the engine.  but at a minimalist project, those little EA82 4 cylinders are not hard at all to do in the vehicle.  jack up one side at a time and have at it if you don't have an engine lift.

Nice Subaru! Looks like my '85 GL (Loyale) 5MT 4WD. I really liked the exterior and interior design of that generation. Some engine work needed but looks like it's worth it with the rest of the car appearing to be in very good shape.