Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Remote start Key Bypass, yay or nay?

I'm working with a 2009 Impreza and I'm trying to get the Remote Starter to play nice. To my knowledge, it doesnt seem there is a chip in the key and I'm not able to locate a P/N for a bypass module. 

Long-story-short, I have all the Ignition wires hooked into the Remote starter and I *am* able to perform the remote start with the key physically in the ignition (but not turned, just slid in). Alternatively, I *am* able to perform the remote start with the key simply touching the barrel. For giggles, i grabbed my wifes key (2009 forester) and tried the same with no joy.

So, obviously it would appear that there is a chip in the key, right? So what gives? does anyone know of a P/N for a bypass module?

I've tried - 
-unplugging other harnesses' around the key to see if one of them "forgets" theres a key and prevents the car from starting. therefore concluding a chip theory?
-performing the "alarm off" work around with the key+lock+horn.

Ideas?

-Justin

• 4 weeks later...

Well, fun fact. even though i was unable to find anyting about it having a chip in the key. it did in fact have one. 

Interestingly enough though, the cheap-o 10$ amazon special where you put a spare key in the enclosure and stuff it under the dash did the trick.

-Justin

This will now mean your subaru can be hotwired and off it goes. 

To do it properly, if it’s possible in the first place, is to tap and mess with the security wiring to the ECU and possibly other components so the security is effectively bypassed by the remote start - and is the only thing that can bypass it. 

Chances of being stolen via hotwiring? Pretty low. Thieves will steal your car keys to steal your car these days. Security in the vehicle is a zero issue with this method. 

Cheers 

Bennie

eh, yes and no. 

they bypass will take just the "nub" of the key so we cut it down and put it in the ribbon - can't just take the key out and use it. 

As far as hotwiring, the alarm has a crank bypass that you interrupt and reroute to the alarm. I try to make it inconspicuous as not make it obvious.

the bypass module that they key goes into has to be activated before it sends the key signal to the keyhole. i have it wired to the "on accessory" wire so that when it cycles to accessory it turns the key bypass module on, then it sends the signal. and turns off when the remote start is disabled. 

-Justin