Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1986 Subaru Xt 1.8NA

Hey all idk if anyone can help me i finally got my Xt running decently but my only issue was bad throttle response but did run good. It idled fine but with throttle response it was very terrible, I would have to floor it to send a signal through so i figured a bad TPS. Only thing is not i changed it with a new sensor and i musta thrown out either the alignment marks on it or there’s a throttle relearn procedure I don’t know about. All advice appreciated.

No throttle re learn, these are simple systems.

If the TPS is really bad, you should have a ECU code blinking on the LED on the ECU.

Might be worth checking the fuel pressure - if it's low, it can idle fine, but be gutless as it's starved and leaned out.

On 10/14/2020 at 11:37 PM, DaveT said:

No throttle re learn, these are simple systems.

If the TPS is really bad, you should have a ECU code blinking on the LED on the ECU.

Might be worth checking the fuel pressure - if it's low, it can idle fine, but be gutless as it's starved and leaned out.

What LED? And it was fine before i changed it but i hear theres a certain position on the TPS?

On the ECU, there is an LED, visible through a hole.  Normally, it's mounted to the underside of the steering column.  I am not extremely familiar with the XT, but EA82 SPFI, I have been maintaining since 1988.

The TPS has adjustment for the angle, so you can set the idle switch.  You should be able to get it close enough just by making sure the marks from the screws overlap the same places.  The FSM has procedures for adjustment and checking the function of the switch and the pot.

7 hours ago, Blooroo86xtGL said:

New fuel filter, before i changed the TPS sensor it was fine its just i had bad throttle response. Drove and idled fine just throttle response was terrible

What is terrible throttle response if you say drove and idled fine? In my book it ain't driving fine if it has terrible throttle response.

Manual? Clutch not toasting is it?