Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weber Carb Conversion Question(s)

I am currently working on converting my '84 EA81 to the Weber 32/36, and the first hiccup I've run into is in removing the old studs from the intake manifold. The back two came out fine using the 2-nut method, but the front two are badly corroded and will not budge even after numerous applications of PB Blaster. I think it's time to take a propane torch to them, but I don't know if I need to heat up the studs themselves, the manifold, or both. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Heating the manifold.   You want it and the holes to expand more than the studs.  It might be too late now, but I have discovered that if you run the engine up to normal operating temperature,  then shut down and immediately go after the bolts you need to remove, it is surprisingly effective.  

On 10/2/2021 at 2:35 PM, DaveT said:

Heating the manifold.   You want it and the holes to expand more than the studs.  It might be too late now, but I have discovered that if you run the engine up to normal operating temperature,  then shut down and immediately go after the bolts you need to remove, it is surprisingly effective.  

Thanks! Lately, it wouldn't stay running long enough to get to operating temperature anyway, but the propane torch did the trick for one of the studs. Hopefully the other will break free after another attempt or two.