Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What alternative front struts have you used for your second gen EA81 GL?

i run front struts that I pulled from my EA82 4WD sedan 1985 made , complete with springs. They were already old but still very good, despite the original git installing CLEARLY marked as to where they go on the vehicle, left on right and vice versa. Silly me only caught the no problem trick after installing in my 89 EA81 body GEN ll Brumby.

Not a roadside conversion, but still, not too hard. Starting with keeping the front - most mounting hole for the strut top, I bolted an old EA82 three bolt strut top in place with the one bolt, in order to drill the new 2 rear holes to take an EA82 /GEN lll / 1985 strut top. GEN lll strut rods are a larger diameter than GEN ll so won't "just' fit the two bolt GEN ll strut tops. GENlll use a bearing, where the older use just a bushing, that can get dry ( so too can bearings , I know )

The bottom of the strut where it fits into the top of the front wheel bearing hub is about 0.50mm - 1.00 mmfatter OD than GENll. To resolve this fitment problem, I "just" got out my long strips of 80 or 120 grit emery paper on a roll and worked its OD down by hand until they fit greased up receptive hole.

I also made up jelly bean shaped washers out of 4 or 5mm mild steel plate to replicate the look of the factory ones spot welded in place for the 2 bolt strut. No fancy CMC stuff here, just old school metal work class skills. Need 4 of

Since had many good years and miles (km's actually) out of this fix