Ultimate Subaru Message Board

TR580 Front Diff rebuild

Rte66Az

Sooo. Another TR580 that Subaru wont touch.. 110k miles. I had the brake switch done in a recall but they wont touch the slippy slidy and then seized up transmission.. They said that that's out of the question.

I tore the TR580 down because I dont have a choice, $6100 for a new unit or $3800 for a remain online are not choices.. Especially not for a product that cant last more than 100k miles.

After owning 3 Subarus, I've got to say this is my last. The customer service just isnt there anymore and they do not stand behind their failures.. Anyways, that's a done deal.

Long story short: The front wheels locked up something fierce, almost sent me off the highway. Stopped 7in short of the side rails.. And since about 20k miles the transmission has been slipping high on rpms on uphills(unloaded) like on the i40 towards flagstaff. I was already unhappy about that but Subaru said its normal. Funny, the Nissan Murano with cvt I owned for 3 years didnt do this.. But ok.

Now that I've torn into the front differential housing, that makes up the front part of the transmission, I can see that the bearing behind the pinion gear went out and the bearings race dropped into the diff. Of course chewing everything up, the crown gear is cast metal. Wow, considering the price and intended offroad uses of this unit/vehicle.

Needless to say, theres a bunch of damage and leftovers of parts that were ground down in the diff. Also the oil was sludged up, probably from the heat coming off of the pinion bearing that failed. That shaft has discoloration from heat too. See pics.

Now I'm trying to get parts from Subaru, and they don't know what TR580 is. "That number doesn't mean anything to me.." said the parts department.

Looking for a rebuild kit, transmission filter, crown gear, pinion bearing, and associated parts for the front diff.  Anyone have a clue?

Screenshot_20220307-192517_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220307-153702_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220307-153732_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220307-193111_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220307-153718_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Rte66Az
Added pics.

I believe the VIN should be stamped on the side of the case (or, many places on the car). Bring that to your dealership, or online parts source (I like www.partsouq.com) and look them up.

Once you get it put back together, change the gear oil in there occasionally. That s*** looks nasty! Over 200k on my mom's 2012 Impreza. Original engine and transmission. We'll probably do it's 4th CVT and Gear Oil change here pretty soon. It does rev up higher than I'd like, but it's a 2.0, it has no torque.

• Thanks 1

Nice, Thanks! I'll check out Subaru on Friday.. 

Yeah, that gear oil was changed at 100k when I changed the CVTF. Unbelievable what some heat and friction can do to oil. Gonna have clean up that mess for sure.

Do you know if the diff looks alright? It seems to me that there was some heat damage there. Dont have anything to compare it to.