Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Ball Joint On Loyale

Hey just put a new ball joint on my loyale works really good. anyone ever have to do this job before. ah it was a pain in the butt took, 2 hours the thing was rusted in place even with my dad and a friend helping couldnt get the boot on. just wondering if anyone had ever had the problem of getting the boot on before.

actually...just did wheel bearings and ball joint on an 89 GL wagon....talk about a pain in the behind - took an air hammer to get the old ball joint out! needless to say it was trashed. to get the boot installed on the new joint, used a large socket and a rubber mallet. piece of cake.

• 2 weeks later...

I did one on the left side when I replaced the CV shaft. I used a pit man arm puller to remove it and it was'nt to bad 10-15 mins. The hard part was getting the other end into the steering knuckle and getting everything to line up so it could be bolted back together. Got a lot of use out of the prybar.

Craig

I just recently did this as well. Yeah getting the boot on using the large axle nut socket just cracked the darn thing. There was a metal band in my boot that would not expand to fit around the ball joint body. Instead it just tore through the rubber. I ended up using this tie rod end boot I had laying around. I kind of wonder if they didn't give me the wrong boot... Got it at advanced auto parts as a matter of convenience. Prob should have went with sub genuine.