Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2004 Subaru Legacy GT Sedan 4D

Todd Toddman

My son wants to go check this car out today. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/689765185653213/ 

It's a modded out Legacy with all kinds of bells and whistles. It'd also be my son's first car. I don't really want him to get it, but it's his money. The listing states:

"Subaru Legacy GT na custom build, leather seats in great condition. Car very well maintained, had turbo on original 2.5. turbo was pulled and motor rebuilt. Motor has approximately 20,000 miles Has 2.5 exhaust with unequal length headers, coil overs on new tires. Limited edition Tiffany blue 18” rims. All oils maintained regularly. Custom stereo, NRG racing bucket seat with NRG planted bracket, NRG steering wheel with NRG quick release hub, and rear interior frame bar, full window tint, triptronic transmission, car tuned to transmission setup, upgraded rods/ pistons, ram air intake, oil reserve reservoir and light weight pulleys. Custom rear diffuser and front lip, comes with spare snow tires on Wrx rims, snowboard/ ski rack vinyl wrapped to match interior, wide wheel spacers, original front drivers seat and bracket original engine components, original steering wheel with airbag( non used), extra side skirt flares and wide fender flares also has a Nardo grey full wrap kit in box."

My question is, what do you all recommend we look for when we get there? There's supposed to be only 20K miles on this engine. But, if he's been racing it those are hard miles. What are common signs of damage from that kind of driving? Are there any common issues with 2004 Legacy GT Sedan?

Also, the kid only wants to let us test drive it if they've come to a deal. Maybe he's sick of people test driving it just to race it. Or, maybe that's a huge red flag.

Also, $6,500?

What do you think?

1020621659_SubaruLegacyGT.jpeg.de171483c0f6183489a34573c87fd41a.jpeg

Rough call mate. You’d be better off posting his in the present 90’s onwards EJ forum ;) 

My biggest question would be who rebuilt the engine and did they know what they were doing? 

For your first car I’d be going for something that’s stock, reliable and easy to maintain. With this you’re buying a whole lot of aftermarket gear that you and your son most likely know nothing about, nor would you know what’s stock and what’s not - that doesn’t make it easy to follow up replacement parts. Lastly, yes it looks awesome, but you could be buying someone else’s problems which is often the case with highly modified and raced vehicles unless you know the vehicle from being at races/in the owners circle of friends.

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1