Ultimate Subaru Message Board

go here: https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Input the stock size on top, and the size you want to mount on bottom
it will tell you size difference, what affect it will have on your speedometer, etc..

without knowing what your current/stock tire size is, cant really say much about the snow tires, altho.. a 215/65 is not really a good aspect ratio for snows - in general...  i would be looking for a taller side wall (the 65) to be honest - 70 or 75... just my 0.02 cents

Currently is 225/60/17.  So these would be a little taller and narrower.  

I'm just trying to figure out how tall I can go on a stock Outback and what will fit my wheels.  These are 4 new, studded tires for $200.  If they'd be a good fit I'd jump on them.

my speedo shows correct numbers even with 225/65 r17 but those wont fit without lift and some plastic cut. if i would find some good rubber i would then think what to do to fit them, as those tires dont come in all sizes in most cases . so you need to pick other size or do lift or smt. just check tire size comparison and then you will know . why guessing ? narrow tires are good for everything rly. just dpends what you going for there ... looks or more sidewall then you could go lower psi but car would handle more rubberish as you would have more higher tire so it would move more to sides ... 

6 hours ago, opus said:

Currently is 225/60/17.  So these would be a little taller and narrower.  

I'm just trying to figure out how tall I can go on a stock Outback and what will fit my wheels.  These are 4 new, studded tires for $200.  If they'd be a good fit I'd jump on them.

they might fit the car... will definitely fit the wheels.. the sticking point is going to be clearance on the front strut spring perches.

like i said, punch the numbers into the tire comparison tool.. check the overall height - narrower width to the bigger side wall ratio..  65% of 215 vs 60% of 225 wouldnt think there would be that much of a difference in overall height - but use the tool to make sure.

Edited by heartless

225/60/16's run perfectly fine on my 2009 legacy with no rubbing.  But they are very very tight with small wheel well margins.  Snow will pack and freeze in the wheel well and rub and is harder to get off with such small clearances. 

Those are the same width and 2.5mm shorter than the tires you want to install.  But you're installing them on an Outback so you should have plenty of room for that extra 2.5mm. (0.1")

Use the following and click "comparison" to see dimensional comparisons of two different tires:

https://tiresize.com/calculator/