Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru XT 1986 ea82T starts and goes too 3k rpm the drops to 0

13 hours ago, 86 xt said:

The sock was clean, fuel comes to the motor, will replace the fuel pressure regulator this weekend 

Very greatfull for the tips and what to look for 

Rather than replace FPR , it may be more work though, how about T in the fuel pressure gauge so it is in the loop with the injectors to test their side? A bastard of a task I know :(

• 2 weeks later...

You did not mention how many miles that it has.  I would buy a new coil and throw that on.  I would also take apart the distributor and see if the vacuum advance system is working properly because the tiny slide plate bearings start to carve grooves in the plate that they contact, causing less than desirable action. There are three wires that get hard, brittle and lose their ability to conduct electricity.  One wire is the engine ground wire where it contacts the body.  The second wire is the one that comes out of the back of the alternator.  The third wire is the wire that come out of the positive battery terminal wire and goes into the bottom of the fusible link box.  Those sections of wire will need to be replaced after 200,000 miles.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the great advice!

The car is now running proper with 

did replace a bounch of vaccum lines distrubitor cap, wire and plugs. made new ground wire at some places 

now I still got codes, how do i remove the codes to see if they show up agian?

can only find the test connectors in the trunk

4 hours ago, 86 xt said:

can only find the test connectors in the trunk

Those connectors are used for memory and clearing functions.  The test connectors should be disconnected for normal driving. 

Connecting one connector will flash the codes in memory.  Connecting the other connector will erase the ECU memory. 
Or maybe connecting both connectors does one of thsoe functions.  It's been awhile since i've done it. 

You should also be able to just disconnect the ECU entirely either the plugs to it or pull the fuse if it has one or disconnect the battery overnight. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, idosubaru said:

Those connectors are used for memory and clearing functions.  The test connectors should be disconnected for normal driving. 

Connecting one connector will flash the codes in memory.  Connecting the other connector will erase the ECU memory. 
Or maybe connecting both connectors does one of thsoe functions.  It's been awhile since i've done it. 

You should also be able to just disconnect the ECU entirely either the plugs to it or pull the fuse if it has one or disconnect the battery overnight. 

can only see 2 green connectors that can be paired, but will try to disconnect the battery over night.